Sunday, May 1, 2011

Professional Learning Plan CEP-812

Another MAET course concluded. This was the last of the courses from the Certificate Program. After looking back at my 810 Personal Learning Reflections, I remember being very interested in learning more about TPACK and sharing it with the other schools in APDE. I’m glad that we revisited this topic in 812 and that I gave my first workshop about it to the Academic Directors and Technology Coordinators of all the schools on Mach 28th of this year. Another goal from 810 was to promote Mobile Learning in my school. In 812 my certainty of the potential of these tools was even more profound. It’s going to be slow process, but we’re taking our first steps in allowing mobile devices for learning in my school. My PLN has grown so much since I started it in 810. My classmates have been great examples to follow. With each course I get to know more about them and it’s been a great experience to work in group projects with really talented people.


I must confess that I was worried at first to make podcasts and vidcasts for this course. It felt weird recording myself in English at the beginning. I just wasn’t used to it. English is not my first language and although I’ve been learning it since I was in Kindergarten, I always get a little nervous and worry about doing it well. I’m now proud of what I’ve accomplished to do and feel more confident using these methods of communication. It inspired me to volunteer in a school project to design and implement a multimedia studio. I’m sure our students would learn very important skills creating podcasts and vidcasts for several of their courses. With time and practice I want to improve the quality and production of these types of resources, especially to complement the professional development/learning of our teachers. I hope that by the end of this year my school will count with the space and equipment for audio and video production that students and teachers can use.

One of the reasons why I decided to apply for the Master’s program was because I wanted to be a better leader in educational technology in my job and for my country. Improving the educational system in my country is one of my dreams and I know that with the help of technology the children in Guatemala will have better opportunities to learn. The second session of this course gave me some great resources and insight on how to accomplish this. It made me reflect on the eight traits of a Technology Leader: Modeling, Approachable, Informed, Knowledgeable, Risk Taker, Supporter, and Initiator. I want to learn more about Technology Plans and Standards in Guatemala and other countries. I constantly have to plan and give group workshops and also assist teachers individually. I always worry about if I’m doing the right things when it comes to professional development for my teachers. The idea of professional learning (not development!) is something that I definitely want to motivate in my workplace. I’m really excited that I will be attending to my first ISTE conference this year! I believe that these courses have prepared me to make the most of this trip. I can attend to the different lectures, forums and workshops with more knowledge and experience on different Educational Technology topics.

In session three of this course, I really enjoyed exploring all the Date Visualization tools that are now available on the Web. So to finish this post, I decided to use the very popular Wordle app and invite you to visualize my Professional Learning Plan in a word cloud. Enjoy!

No comments: