Saturday, April 9, 2011

Web-Conferencing Lab

This week I had my first web conference using a free online tool called Vyew. I had used other software for Web conferencing like Skype, MS Live Meeting and Adobe Connect, so I was very curious about this new option.

It has some really nice features like whiteboarding, screen and document sharing, IM, wecbam and voice activation and the continuous meeting rooms are always saved and can be always on.

I liked that even though Vyew is free and ad supported, the ads are discrete. The only downside of the free version is that only 10 people can participate at the same time in a room, not very practical for a teacher, when classes consists of at least 15 to 30 students.

Some features that are missing and could be very useful are:
- Recording sessions (You need to use another program like ScreenFlow for this)
- Polling

Alex and I had a very productive Web conference. I think it is a lot faster to brainstorm ideas this way than just send emails or post messages on a forum. You also get to know your classmates better and it's always nice to make new friends :)

No comments: