Sunday, April 10, 2011

WPP Part B - Application of TPACK

For my MAET Wicked Problem Project I decided to create a website with Google Apps. The site will help me administrate more efficiently our school's technology resources and improve communication among the staff. At the same time it will serve as a model of the different uses or functionalities that G-Apps offers. Our school has been using Google Apps for Education since 2009, I want my teachers to take better advantage of these Google tools.

I've already started my Technology Integration Website using Google Sites.

Now, I will analyze my project using the TPACK model to see if this solution has the necessary elements to become a good learning resource for my teachers.

Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK)

In this solution, the same tools that I want my teachers to learn are the ones that they will be using on a daily basis for sharing their edtech experiences and scheduling the use of different technology resources. I will also communicate events and share important documents regarding technology integration within the school. Inside the site each feature will make reference to what Google App or feature is being used with a link to a more detailed description. It would be a lot harder to explain to them in a traditional verbal workshop the tools if they haven't used them first and have not seen the benefits of their implementation. TPK in this case will help them identify similarities and differences of doing tasks with or without Google Apps. I think it will also be a good engagement strategy since they are using the same thing that they are learning.

Technological Content Knowledge (TCK)

For TCK, the content in this case is Google Apps. You might say that the whole site is a non-linguistic representation of the content, since it's a physical or digital model of the different tools. This will help create a mental picture of the different functionalities. So when I talk to my teachers about sharing a document template or calendar with their students, they will know what I'm talking about because I've done the same thing with them.

Pedagogical Content Knowledge (PCK)

I think that this solution has a very practical or kinesthetic approach to learning the content. The teachers will first have the experience of using Google Apps as part of the school's needs to keep track of technology integration. Later, they can appropriate the same tools for their own needs inside the classroom.

1 comment:

Miztech said...

I love that this follows the idea of making teachers productive first and then watch them carry those same skills and tools into their classroom. The real challenge has always been finding ways to 'introduce' teachers to the new tools. This seems like a great solution to that problem.