Saturday, October 9, 2010

The PC Maintenance and Security Blues

If you ask anybody in the technology department, the least fun job for us is keeping track of the maintenance and security of all the PCs in the school. Installing and trying out new software and hardware is exciting! Scanning lots of PCs for viruses and spyware, not so much... I believe that all of us would benefit if everyone in our staff would follow some simple precaution rules. The videos for me were a great tool for getting ideas on how I can explain to others the different methods for keeping the PCs running smoothly.

This is my review of some of the videos that I saw at the Atomic Learning PC Maintenance and Security section:

Which tutorial did I choose?

  • Understanding how malware spreads
  • Showing the results of bad security and careless computing
  • Using Windows Cleanup!
  • Following a PC maintenance checklist

What was one thing I learned that I will definitely be sharing with others?

I chose the videos that I thought would be most useful if I wanted to talk to teachers and students about PC maintenance and security. I didn’t know about the software Windows Cleanup! I think it’s great, saves you a lot of time if you wanted to do all those tasks manually and one at a time. The PC maintenance checklist is very good; I think I will print a version of it for my office. I’ll make time to see all of the videos in the coming days. It’s part of my responsibility to be informed about these things. I should be a good example, it wouldn’t be too good if the technology coordinator is careless and has a messy PC.

Was there any information that surprised me?

I wasn’t really surprised, but I was happy to learn about new tools and tips that I can use.

No comments: